Twelve little riddles
Lying in the dark
Waiting for someone
To light them with a spark
Dancing in the palace
Spinning fast and free
Waiting for someone
To come unlock the key
* * *
The
sound I made caught between a giggle and a snort and it made me cough. Her head
snapped toward me, and she glared. I smirked and leaned my head against the
trunk, catching my breath.
“I was
not addressing you,” she snapped, embarrassed and irritated, I would guess,
although, admittedly, my social skills were a bit dusty.
“Then
you should not speak so freely,” I said mockingly. She grimaced and turned
away. I looked at her back, so ramrod straight and righteous. “It won’t answer,
you know.”
She glanced
at me. “What?”
“The
dark,” I told her, jerking my chin toward the shadows. “It does not talk to
little girls like you and me.”
“Then to
whom does it speak?” she asked tiredly.
“Stone
and stars and old trees,” I said, humming up and down. “The likes of which
would never lean toward me.” I began to chuckle, tapping my fingers along the
roots of the pine. She growled and scrambled to her feet. Kicking a fallen
branch from her way, she walked stiffly from the camp. “Don’t wander too far,
lavender-lu. I’d hate to think of the fit poor pussy would have if you caught a
death,” I laughed, not at all humorously.

0 comments:
Post a Comment