“Hello,” I said, panting,
wishing the light in the phone booth was broken, so that I wouldn’t be so
blasted obvious. Everything else in this part of town was, why couldn’t the
light have been? “You don’t know me, but I have information I think you want.”
Stunned silence rang in my ears from the other end while I looked around
hurriedly. I hoped I would have enough time to finish this phone call.
“What
would make you think that?” The voice asked slowly, even suspiciously. I didn’t
blame him. A strange girl, calling his personal cell, in the middle of the
night, from an unknown number; it’s a miracle he actually answered.
“I know
this seems shady,” I responded quickly, “And it is, kind of, but not because of
me. It’s about the Knot.” Another silence, this time one of distrust and
wariness. I didn’t give him time to respond. I didn’t have time. “Please, I really need to meet with you - ” my
voice cut off as a rich, mellifluous sound filled my head, ringing silently
through the streets. My eyes widened as the bel canto-style aria continued,
growing closer in my ears. “I know what it is you want,” I said shortly, panic
spiking my voice. “I have to go.” I slammed the phone down, and dashed from the
booth, sweating with fear.
The
Garbage Man was here.

0 comments:
Post a Comment