BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Job

Two brief scenes from the same story


            “You do realize that this scheme will likely end with some horrible death for the pair of us?”
            “Sshs,” she hissed. “I’m trying to work.” She twitched the pick a little farther. “*it.” The lock’s host of tumblers slammed down, snapping her pick.
            Brack shifted his weight uneasily. “How many picks is that now?” He fingered the arrow he had already notched. “There’s something wrong ‘bout this place, Tana. You know that well as I.”
            She rolled her shoulders and withdrew another pick from her belt. “Just shut up and keep a watch,” she snapped. “I’ll worry ‘bout the lock.”
            “Watch for what?” he muttered, peering into the gloom of the moor.
            “Don’t care. If it moves, shoot it.” She teased the second tumbler into place.
            That I can do.”


            “What are we doing here, Tana? We’re thieves, not treasure hunters or adventurers. If we’re wantin’ loot like this, we steal it after another body has done the hard part. What was the boss thinking, sending us out here? What’s so important?”
            “He didn’t share anything more with me than he did with you, and I didn’t ask.”
            “Ehh, why not? You’ve his ear, least more of it than the rest of us.”
            “The only reason I’ve even part of his ear is ‘cause I don’t yammer it deaf. Now, let’s get on with it.”
            “Fine, fine. But you know he ain’t been right, not since Dorsa died, and definite not since his, hem, ordeal.”
            “Look, I don’t know all that happened to him, but I do know that a body doesn’t go through that and stay the same.”
            “You’re right, you’re right. No denyin’ that. But that doesn’t change the fact that he’s been more than a little, well unsettling recently. Makes a body worry.”
            “Giran has never been the sort to put folks at ease. And he’s still the boss. He’s earned our loyalty, Brack.”
            “Sure, sure. But has he earned our questionless loyalty? Because I’d say this job definitely warrants questions.”

0 comments: